Monday, March 9, 2009

My Personal Favorite

With all the great comedians out there, it is hard to sit down and say "He is my all time favorite." Fortunately for me, Brian Regan sticks out more than any other as the funniest man alive. Now, like I have posted in my previous blog, this kind of decision is based entirely from my own perspective so it does not mean he is the best comic and everyone should like him just as much as me. It is just my personal taste in comedy that attracts me to his technique. However, even critics agree that Regan has achieved that level of greatness and has been doing so for ten plus years.

I am a fan of originality and this man's act is chop full of it. Regan has a particular style where he pokes fun of his own mistakes and flaws instead of targeting the negativities of others, like so many comics so often do. But he self-ridicules, in a way, where the mistakes and flaws are so common, that it turns into a spectacle that almost everyone can relate with. Funny slip-ups such as: saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and embarrassing moments in front of strangers. Brian Regan also has the tenacity to transform average scenarios, like a day at the airport or hospital to dealing with UPS or buying a refrigerator, into sheer comical brilliance. But it's not just turning average moments into funny ones, it's how Regan pulls these jokes off, that destinguishes him from any other stand-up artist out there.

In most of his stories, Regan portrays himself as an idiot by changing his voice, body position and facial expressions into a character that just demands laughter. This character that I cannot even begin to describe, is the epitome of his act. On the flip side, it is this same character that annoys others. These people say "That although Brian Regan can be funny at times, he tends to overkill that idiot character too much and drowns out potential fans." But me, on the other hand, I can't get enough of this comedy. I believe the only thing Regan is missing in his act, is more lines with that idiot character he pretends to be. 

I have listened to Regan so much, that I believe his routine has manifested into the way I act. 
For anyone who wants to watch and laugh, go to  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM-HWkbnDfg&feature=related  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment