Monday, February 16, 2009

Carlin's voice of persuasion

I don't know a comedian who's has done stand-up for as long as George Carlin has. Anyone who has been around since the seventies and has been that successful has got to have some credibility in his act. Unfortunately, Carlin past away last year due to heart failure, but his memories and comedy routine will be remembered forever. 

I have heard about George Carlin since I can remember. That is just one of those names you will hear regardless of of whether you want to or not. He's that popular and has been so for over so long. But I never really appreciated his routine until recently, that is, until I started thinking for myself for a change, outside of the box. Anyone who has heard a part of his act for more than five minutes would know that his entire genre is "thinking outside the box."

After I watched a couple of his acts I had suddenly turned into a Carlin fan and wanted more more more. However, I have learned that when watching Carlin, his words can start persuading you to judge and rethink your beliefs, morals, ideals, and everything else that you hold dear. So, if or when you do watch his performance(s), do so with a grain of salt, and know that it is just an act used primarily for entertainment. It is only comedy, in the end. Nonetheless, Carlin is very enthusiastic and persuasive during his comedy as he tears apart what society deems is right and politically correct. I really love it when Carlin goes on his rampage with words and elevates his voice more and more to drive a message across. I don't think there is a better comedian out there who can use the device of persuasion quite like Carlin. It it his "bread and butter" as the saying goes. George even had an act about his act and why he has been successful doing so. 

There are some opinions that I don't entirely agree with Carlin, like religion, for one. But I know when he comes around to that part, which he inevitably will, I just respect his opinion and know it is just part of his act. I don't let it boggle me up inside with frustration or anger like some people might get when watching Carlin. Saying that, pretty much anything else outside of religion I love and agree with entirely.

Even with Carlin no longer living or passed away or "dead" as he would of bluntly put it (inside George Carlin joke) we can still see a lot of his routine in other comedians, realists, and even in ourselves at times. I had a college professor at my old school that reminded me of Carlin. My teacher wasn't as lively as Carlin though, more dry-humored. But his realistic and mostly negative mindset about the world or "people in the world" we live in was opposite of what you would normally hear. My teacher talked about the flaws in the educational system, parenting system, government, politics, religion, and even as depth as the way our brains are wired from childhood until death. He really opened my eyes to a lot. I felt I got more out of that one class, which had nothing to do with my major, than all my other classes combined. That same concept goes for Carlin. Even though his act is primarily for entertainment, I feel like I get more out of his comedy than almost any other comedian out there.

I know George would hate me saying this but, he's probably down there now, smiling up at us.

      

          

No comments:

Post a Comment